Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Running thoughts

Last night at XC practice went on an easier paced 4 mile run with a couple of the older kids on the team and one of my fellow coaches. Was nice getting out and about and away from the somewhat monotonous loops we run a lot on the grassy areas between soccer and baseball fields.

This morning went on a seven mile recovery run-started out along the boardwalk in Carolina Beach-then ended up doing most of the miles back on the trails of the CB State Park. Legs were a bit beat up from the 12.4 miles ran yesterday (8+ and a harder workout in the morning)

Have learned over the course of the last few years to enjoy the easy paced recover runs (9-10+ minutes per mile pace). Something that many runners I have found tend to struggle with. Maybe its just a matter of getting used to running slower-or convincing oneself that they are deriving more benefit from the slower pace, as its allowing the bodies natural process of healing itself to take place.

Still reveling in the high from getting into the Boston Marathon. Enjoyed the whole process from the first day registration was open (for runners 20+ minutes faster than their BQ time), right through today where those between 4:59 and under are hoping (and praying) that they get in. Touching to receive so many well wishes and compliments via social media.  Plus I can recall being a bit jealous last year of the love and attention friends in the running community here were getting.

I told an old friend last week that I just want to train(run), coach, and write about it. Those things together in various combinations bring me a sense of purpose and fulfillment like perhaps nothing else ever has for me. Makes me feel like I am right where I am supposed to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing. Trying to appreciate all the attendant moments as the journey unfolds, and as more is continually being revealed.

We all have a human need I think to feel some kind of purpose-or some existential yearning as to just why we are here. The ultimate answer lies inside the mind of God, or in the secret of the universe depending on one's individual conviction. But I know when I am running, or in some way involved with running, I get just a little bit closer perhaps to some answers which ultimately lie behind the veil.

And its infinitely interesting to me as well-so I'll keep on searching, keep on running, and keep on doing what I know how to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment