Sunday, September 3, 2017

Running in a T Storm

What fun, early Saturday. I got back to the Carolina Beach State Park just after sunrise (not that the sun was visible). A cluster of thunderstorms had drifted up from the south-instead of hitting snooze and going back to sleep, I decided to run anyway

Which was fun, in a slightly diabolical way. Sloshy my way along the trails. Constantly wiping water from my brow. Counting the seconds between flashes of lightning and the sound of thunder. Feeling at one with all the other animals, at the mercy of mother nature just like me.

Ended up getting over 12 miles in, 5 w/ Isiah one of the older boys and best runner on our Flyers XC team. We managed to get lucky and run between storms. Fell once, while trying to leap over standing water on the main road thru the park (after a short while I realized how fruitless it was to try and keep my shoes dry, so I would just run straight through the water ponding on the ground).

It felt good to be alive, and good to be a bit crazy, and good to be a runner yesterday morning. And for that I am grateful.

Much love
GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment