Monday, September 18, 2017

Boston bound

Got the email confirmation yesterday that I had been officially accepted into the 122nd running of the Boston Marathon, to take place in April 2018. Words will fail to convey all this means to me, since it would require an in depth articulation of where I have come from over the past eleven plus years.

For back then, in what seems like a previous lifetime, I was an active alcoholic and drug addict marked for an early death. I had been reduced to living life like an animal, bereft on any sort of human dignity, or any semblance of that precious commodity called hope.

Today-things are much different. Though those demons still lurk, they do so far beneath the surface most days. My thoughts are occupied with training schedules and mileage totals. Upcoming races, an how I can best serve all the kids I am fortunate to coach. In fact, that is what I spent most of yesterday doing-coaching and race directing a cross country meet. Maybe there are no accidents, and it was quite fitting that I got my Boston letter of acceptance on such a day.

It's what I will be doing again this evening-coaching. And this morning I spent an hour plus of my day running. A hard workout too:  4x 200m, 2x 400m, 800, 2x 400m, 4x 200m. As I chase after what may seem impossible- faster times at the age of 43.

But nothing is impossible. Not out here, on the roads and on the trails. With a full and grateful heart, I reach towards the promise of new days and new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment