Monday, September 4, 2017

Phase2 WO1

Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer-and I officially cannot wait for fall, and fall weather. After a five week modest build back up of mileage, I felt like I was ready to move into phase2 of the Jack Daniels 5k-15k Training Plan I am following. It's the same plan I used the first half of 2017 with much success.


To backtrack, I had allowed my mpw to fall into the 20s (and one week even below 20) in order to have some much needed extended rest from a hard Jan-May training, and then a heavier race schedule culminating with three in seven days the first week of July. But all in good fun, and part of a 50 races in 50 states challenge I have embarked on.

So then in August I have been winding the miles back up thru the thirties, and into the low 40s per week, and doing striders on average every second run. Plus some longer run in the 1:15-1:45 time range. 2 of them with Peyton. But no real hard running since the Battle of the Border XC race July 22nd

Today the first workout in Phase2 was 5 x (200,200,400) with equal distances rest. Ran through the farm and then on the roads to Kure Beach, and back to Carolina Beach along a route I use often for workouts. Planned on getting out a little earlier in the morning, as it was already a bit hot at 7:30. Though the humidity was tolerable.

Took the workout pretty well, hitting the 200s around :40 and the 400s anywhere from 1:17- 1:27. Worked hard, and dry heaved at the end of the last three 400s. Was reminded quickly of how demanding physically and mentally these sessions are. Putting on the big boy pants again! 

One run, one workout-and I'll take it from here. But it felt good to be back out getting after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment