Sunday, July 5, 2015

Targets

220 miles the past 3 weeks. 81/66/74. I The numbers are like art work to me. There can be a  thousand stories behind the numbers. And there is the dedication and perseverance that it takes to hit those numbers. The 5am alarms, two days, heat, humidity, sore legs, tired mind.  I ate steak and red beets with a salad tonight for dinner to kind of top it off. Mission accomplished. Now a cut back week. Perhaps Tri-Span 10k Saturday. Hell-span. Bridges, hills... stifling humidity. The race we local runners love to hate.

Want to read some Joe Vigil. I have been thinking of his quote along the lines of expect nothing of your running and you will get so much more in return.

I sent a message to my fellow coaches that we should let the kids know how proud we are of them, and not focus so much on the results since a trend of late is a few of them getting too upset after races.

Read my Running Times this weekend which reinforced the notion that I (we) need to always be learning, not only in running, but in life. I know from experience, that the worst spot to sometimes be in mentally and perhaps more importantly spiritually... is to feel like I know a lot.

Threshold miles early Saturday morning in Shallotte. 6:21, 6:18, 6:15, plus another quarter mile at low 6 pace. Nice, nice, nice. Felt good about it. Worked for it, but didn't kill myself. Stayed mentally engaged. Physically felt pretty strong

13 miler Sunday morning. Longest run in a while. Need to bump up / add more long runs in lieu of Iron Mountain in two months.

Looking at races up in PA in early August.

Surfing the running waves and digging the ride...