Friday, January 9, 2015

A Cold Winter Day

It's cold today. I put on long pants, three shirts, a beanie and a pair of gloves but when I ran into that north wind blowing it was cold. The sky was a solid murky gray with no hint of a sun about to breach her dominion any time soon. The only thing to do is to get moving and know that eventually my body will warm up some.

Plus when I got into the Carolina Beach State Park I was sheltered to an extent from the wind. The good thing about real cold days is that there are usually not many other people on the trails... which was the case today.  In fact I only passed one person who was out walking their dog. We exchanged hellos.

I dropped down off the marked trail on top of Sugar Loaf hill and rambled along the Cape Fear River. There were small waves rippling from north west to south east across the water and towards the shoreline I was on. The wind off the river had an icy edge to it... but also made me feel acutely aware of my surroundings, and of the grip Mother Nature has on us on days like today. We are merely children beneath her breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment