Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Runs

Went for a faster 5 mile run Sunday night. Down the main drag on the island to Kure Beach and back in the dark. Been fighting a head cold and sometimes the best response I can summon against it is sort of like one big bleep you... I'm going to strap on my shoes and go blast a few miles.

Was the first time I had run hard in a month since Iron Mountain. The old sensations return quick; the tightness in the chest, lactic acid in the legs... the visuals of things whizzing by a little quicker than normal. Even at night. Finished a little under 34 minutes. Passed a young lady twice out running near Kure Beach... could hear music from her ipod. The waves crashing onto the beach as I ran the boardwalk by downtown KB struck some undefined chord deep within. I knew I was where I was supposed to be. 

Easy 3.5 Tuesday enjoying the over grown vegetation of the inner island trails and the pleasant, gay warmth of the autumn sun. Thoughts of nothing in particular. Flowing.

7.5+ again by day on Wednesday, taking the inner island trails into housing developments that lead me down past Kure Beach towards Fort Fisher. Not letting a cold lay me up. Knocking out 8 minute miles with not a whole heck of a lot of effort, though fighting a bit a headwind on the way back.  5 in and out sprints by the CB Lake. First time doing since August. Gradually upping the mileage and incorporating speed. But trying not to be in a hurry with any of it.

Enjoying the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment