Monday, May 12, 2014

12 May 2014

Legs are slowly recovering from last weekend's half marathon  Ran an easier 5.5 miles on Sunday, and 7.5 miles today. As I've gotten a little older and perhaps a little wiser, I pay attention more to the art of recovery. What I eat, drink post runs (especially longer runs), to trying to get enough sleep, as well as taking the necessary days off and easier runs that are essential to allow my body and to some extent my mind to heal and rebuild.

One of the best runs from an instructional standpoint I've ever had was 3 or 4 years ago with my friend Colin in Wilmington. We ran if memory serves about 5 or 6 miles at a pace slower than ten minutes per mile. And discussed the importance of incorporating slow runs into one's routine. The legendary Frank Shorter... who incidentally served as the guest starter for this year's Quintiles marathon... is quoted as having said to the effect "when you're going to run fast run fast; when you're going to run slow run slow".  Furthermore adding that there weren't many runners who could run fast enough to keep up, nor many who would want to run slow enough on his slow days.

Want to also recover to be ready to start ramping up again... eyeing for one thing the Iron Mountain 50 miler the end of August. But I also want to ramp up and run more for the sake of running more... continuing a journey I've dubbed my own vision quest. Being loosely defined as an attempt to find what is currently beyond reach. A search for an undefinable something that may lie on mystical plains yet traversed. I don't know, I may just be a little nuts, or bored with the status quo. But I am eager for the pilgrimage... like some wide eyed religious enthusiast heeding an inner voice... whispering to them to keep on seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment