Sunday, April 3, 2016

Grinding it Out

Post run in the Carolina Beach State Park


Into April we roll. Just completed the 3rd of 4 planned weeks of 60+ miles per week. 61, 62, 63; and god willing another 60-65 this upcoming week.

Long run today with Amie- 15 miles. All over Pleasure Island, mostly on the roads. Averaged a low 9 minute per mile pace, which is a bit faster than the previous 2 long runs we have done of 17 miles where we averaged about mid 9 minutes/ mile. Not to say that pace on those longs run is highly important-it's more one of those things as a data freak runner I notice and make note of.

Overall I feel pretty good physically and spiritually. Have adjusted well to the increase in work load, though I have decreased the ancillary work some. When grinding out the mileage one must adhere to the daily discipline of not only getting out the door to get the runs in, but the uptick in the lengths of runs each day.  As I have been staying true to one of my goals which is to obtain all (for now) of my mileage thru singles, or by running only once per day.

The concept I read about in the book Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. And I also have touched upon in previous blogs. In a nutshell, the theory is that there are larger fitness gains by running longer daily runs, as opposed to segmenting the mileage by doing 2 a days on some days of the week. IE if I want to get 12 miles in it's better to run one run of 12 miles (which can include any kind of workout within said mileage), than say running 7 miles in the morning and 5 miles in the evening.

Though once weekly mileage totals hit certain higher levels it becomes increasingly difficult to get the week's totals all via singles

Anyhow- also getting a fair amount of aerobic capacity/ development runs in. Last Wednesday I ran 10 miles in 1:09, after a quick one mile warm up. First mile was in the low8s, after which I brought the pace down into the mid/ high 6 minute/ mile range for the last 7 miles of the 10. Felt pretty strong-was a solid, steady, workmanlike effort. Pace did slip back up the last 2 miles to about the 6:50 range. Also consciously aware of running fast/ hard but in control- a concept explained in further detail on Nate Jenkins' blog (see my website list). He talks about how the best runners can run very fast but do so in a manner where they are shall we say making it look easy, since they are not out of control.

Friday evening ran 11 miles total. On the inner island trails and on my normal route to Kure Beach and back. After 5 miles at about an 8 minute/ mile pace, I put down the next 3 miles at fast lactate threshold, or approximate 10k pace. 6:20/ mile. Again, felt fairly strong and efficient while doing so-but working hard and concentrating on the not so easy task at hand. That's one thing I have always appreciated about running fast- is that it sharpens my focus singularly on what I am literally doing moment to moment for the most part. Since if my mind starts to drift too much, my pace usually will follow and fall off.

Last 2 Saturdays ran 8 miles on the Carolina Beach State Park trails with some of the Flyers kids I coach, and some of my fellow coaches and parents. Excited for the beginning of Track and Field season in a few short weeks. A couple of our athletes who have been diligently training this off season are poised to have great seasons. In the words of coach Joe Lancaster "giddy-up!"

Happy running and happy spring all!  Lets all keep on doing what we are doing, and be grateful while enjoying the ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment