Sunday, February 11, 2018

Boston Marathon Training Week # 9

Took a recovery/ cut back week. Figured it was a good time to do so, since I'm at about the halfway point of the 18 week plan. Plus coming off of two big mileage weeks in the low to mid 80s, coupled with a fair amount of intensity, including a 15k race. Took 3 days off, and got 60 miles in on just four runs.

Feel good about where I am right now. Won't elaborate on some aspects of the further, to avoid perhaps jinxing myself. But perhaps just by alluding to, the Pandora's box has been opened. Who says runners are superstitious?

Weather bounced around again from cold, to warm, to rain. I did one run real early in the morning, almost entirely in darkness. Ran another in and out of the rain. Over dressed on a run too, and was too stubborn to go back home and shed some clothes.

Hard effort on an 18 miler, w/ 14 at goal marathon pace- the most consecutive M miles I've been asked by Jack Daniels to do. Also a steady 20 miler, where I found myself having to slow the pace down a half click at times. A positive sign indeed. Got some striders in on one run, and continue to incorporate some hills when I can, though I have nagging doubts that I am not doing enough of. Though I read one person's account of the Boston course who downplayed how bad the hills actually are, in lieu of what he had been warned.

But I know this is going to be one of those races on multiple fronts that I am just going to have to experience for myself. No amount of reading, or verbal accounts will be able to fully prepare me for the unique physical challenges of the course, as well as the myriad of other factors mentally and spiritually. Though I train as if this could be my only shot at Boston- as I said via a text to some friends, "I'm all in."

Planning a trip to Umstead for a long, and hilly trail training run the first weekend in March with some of the my fellow Wilmington area Boston bound peeps.

Eye popping stat: 453 miles already in 2018. Yowser!


Week #9 (2/5/18- 2/11/18)

Total miles: 60.0


Monday: Rest/ recovery

Tuesday: 18 miles. WO2. 2 + 14M + 2. Carolina Beach roads + River Road, Snows Cut bridge 2x. Ran hard and pushed pace from the get-go. Held up pretty well throughout, though did take a heavier toll on my legs near the end. Stayed fairly consistent pace wise, and was pleased to hit an average of the whole 18 miles sub 7 minute pace. Average about 6:49 pace for the 14M miles. Warmer afternoon, temps low-mid 60s with a little humidity, and a tough breeze 2-3 miles coming back down River Road. Run time- 2:05:45 (6:59 pace)

Wednesday: 8.03 miles. Easy miles on Farm and into Kure Beach. Fairly enjoyable run dusk/ dark. Was also mild out again. Legs pretty beat up but runnable. Run time- 1:16:41 (9:33 pace)

Thursday: Rest/ recovery. Last minute decision to switch up to a Friday morning run. Get some extra rest from Tuesday's hard effort

Friday: 14 miles. Carolina Beach loop + River Road and back. Ran early in the morning, left out at 4:41am. Real dark parts of River Road. Felt kind of spiritual. Listening just to footballs and breathing. Blessed to be out, after some tougher news. Steady pace, plus 8 x 150m I/O striders in 10, 11th mile. Colder out.  Run time- 1:48:07 (7:43 pace)

Saturday: 20 miles. WO1. Steady 20 miles. Took a new road loop: North End, CB Road, Cathay, back thru AHS/ Vets parks ground, back down CB road. Rained on and off, wore slicker first 4 miles then abandoned. Was milder, near 60, but humid. Legs felt decent, some natural fatigue latter half of run, but ran a lot of mid 7s miles without too much effort. Thinking about article posted by Kim M on FB about running long runs too fast (which I had read before). Got water at my old spot, hose on the side of one of the gas stations by CB-Cathay intersection. Hit a few small hills + 4-5 miles CB road slight uphill. Run time- 2:34:18 (7:42 pace)

Sunday: Rest/ recovery. Decided later Saturday to take another rest day today.


No comments:

Post a Comment