Sunday, February 18, 2018

Boston Marathon Training Week # 10

I felt it Tuesday night on my last set of threshold miles; a sharp pain in my right calf, like bad cramps. But it was actually my Achilles tendon that was hurting. Same injury I had a few years ago coming off one of my ultra marathons. And accompanied again by the same pain on top of the foot (I don't know how the two are related, and I haven't done any research into. But imagine the two must be connected).

Thankfully, I am able to run through, at least as of this writing on Sunday afternoon. Been foam rolling the Achilles tendon, stretching more, and icing it and the top of my foot. As I've written before, its hard to get through a marathon training program without some bumps or interruptions in the journey.

And it helped me more acutely appreciate each run; not knowing at the onset if I'd be able to finish, or just so much running, and at what intensity I'd even be able to do. Helps to also empathize with others dealing with injuries, illnesses, or other setbacks. Such as on the social media pages I follow and comment on about the Boston Marathon. In fact the official Boston Marathon Facebook page today had a post about setbacks, challenges; an open forum to vent a little, and to also offer each other encouragement.

Nonetheless, did manage a solid week, with mileage totals above 80. Two fairly solid workouts, and some more hills.

Started using my second pair of Saucony Kinetta Relays I had bought online just after Christmas. Most times I get hurt, or have more serious pain problems is when I've worn shoes too long. Might order another pair of Nikes too that I use more as everyday trainers. Here's hoping, and here's praying for any and all of us who are dinged, sick, or otherwise being sidetracked from the training that we want to be doing, that our collective trajectories head upwards in the coming days and weeks.

Week #10 (2/12/18-2/18/18)

Total miles: 81.8


Monday: 9.09 miles. Got some hills in before dark in Carolina Beach State Park on the yellow blaze and Sugarloaf trails. Normal pace. Run time- 1:21:02 (8:55 pace)

Tuesday:  16 miles. WO2. 5 + (2 x 3T w/ 3 min jogs) + 2T + 2. Cooler (40s), windy night. Felt good initially legs did, validating benefits of a cut back week the week before. Until the aforementioned Achilles flared. Tough T miles running into the wind, and crossing Snow's Cut Bridge. Could not get pace much under 6:50 even though felt good, and like I was running much faster. Took River Rd to bridge under construction. Never again in the evening in the dark, as traffic was fast and scary close. Full T miles: 6:49, 6:51, 6:39...  6:27, 6:23...6:32.  Run time- 1:55:14 (7:12 pace)

Wednesday:  7.52 miles. Achilles sore, so was just trying to get some distance in. Was unsure if would hold enough to run, but did, though fairly painful at times. Took the farm, off road for as many miles as I could. Mild out, but couldn't appreciate as much as I would have liked to. Thought about how I am training on the knife's edge, and sometimes you get cut. But also makes even more determined to run through, though knowing that some rest at some point may be necessary. Run time- 1:08:52 (9:10 pace)

Thursday:  13.18 miles. CBSP + to the North end and back. Pleased with the mileage I was able to get in, as leg did not get any worse, and was able to handle the distance, though top of foot began to also bother me more. Good set of hill repeats in CBSP; went for about twenty minutes, 2.7 miles as sort of a tempo run on yellow blazes/ sugar loaf hill areas. Blasting a few of the steeper down hills as well. Added 6 x 150 I/O striders on the road later in the run. Run time- 1:45:39 (8:02 pace)

Friday: 8.93 miles. Early morning in Carolina Beach, north end and back. Decent run, some pain but again tolerable, and wasn't getting worse. Did get to dig some of the early morning tranquility. Quite mild, and a bit humid. Searched for a truck in a neighborhood with Watson on it. Found just as I came upon another runner in the dark, though stayed about a half block behind as to not spook. Also saw 5 deer cross a road, kind of ran behind them for a short stretch which was cool. Easier pace, wanted to go early as to have full day before next WO Saturday am.  Run time- 1:17:16 (8:45 pace).

Saturday: 18 miles. WO1. 4 + 8M + 1T + 3M + 2. Shallotte, started and ended from Dads house. Took usual long route Copas Road-town-Smith road loop. Wore new Sauconys. Some pain off and on, and some sharper Achilles pain near end of last M mile, but overall was tolerable. Good, solid effort and paces. Was some pesky wind at times too, though temps ideal about 50, and cloudy. Splits: 6:55, 6:50, 6:42, 6:48, 6:52, 6:37, 6:56, 6:40, 6:18, 6:51, 6:34, 6:48.  Run time- 2:07:57 (7:06 pace)

Sunday: 9.22 miles. Shallotte- Copas Road loop, mostly off road. Easy miles, was enjoyable. Not too much pain. Legs overall not too beat up from Saturday, just a bit tight/ heavy early. Run time- 1:19:59 (8:40 pace).

No comments:

Post a Comment