Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fall season complete. Onto Boston

Wrapped up my fall running season with a 17:48 5k at the Wrightsville Beach Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Finished in 5th place overall out of close to 2,000 runners. Was actually the first time in my running career that I had participated in a race on Turkey day.

Felt good about the results- splits were 5:55, 5:40, 5:45 on a pancake flat course with not too many turns. Went out fast (too fast) the first 400 meters or so, but was hard not to being near the front of such a large, and competitive field. Checked my watch and was running a 5:25 pace-dialed it back and settled in then while watching the race play out ahead of me. Counted runners as I approached the mile mark, and was sitting in 15th place.  (Note: 43 runners finished sub20)

Picked off a few runners just past the bridge that connects the two islands, then steadily reeled in a small pack of runners during the second mile, most of which is a straight shot along Lumina Avenue, the main drag in the town of Wrightsville Beach. Wind was at our backs, which helped aid a fast 2nd mile. Overall the weather was fairly ideal with temperatures in the low to mid 40s, though there was a persistent wind in the 10-15 mph range. When not running, it felt chilly out.

Passed the last two runners I would pass just as we went back across another bridge spanning the open channel waters, and held onto 5th place the remainder of the race. Finished with a fairly strong kick, as my garmin registered the last .11 miles of the race at a 4:44 pace.

Pleased with the fall-for the most part followed again a Jack Daniel's 5k training plan, and averaged in the 50s for weekly mileage. Hi-lights include winning the Hunger Run 5k in 17:58- my 7th road racing win of my adult career.

Next up-Boston. And an 18 week training plan starting on December 11th. Here's to new running goals and adventures my friends!

Run on-

No comments:

Post a Comment