Friday, April 6, 2018

Boston Marathon Training Week # 16

I'm getting behind and lazy with my blog posts. Troubling reminder of how in my past I had a penchant for not finishing thing that I started, and/or shying away from work. But been trying to stick to a brief passage I read a bit ago from Saint John of the Cross, about suffering, working, and silence being important, to drive out all the "nonsense" in our hearts and minds. I'm badly paraphrasing or attempting to articulate, so I'll stop.

Into taper mode, bringing miles down, though trying not to use that as an excuse to shy away from work. Feel like I've done what I've set out and wanted to do; now it's more a matter of trusting in all that, and erring on the side of rest, and reductions in volume. But of course we all second guess.

And getting more hills in. Something I probably should have been more diligent with earlier in the training. Good WO w. Colin, Rob, and Beth Ann on Saturday. Good talks too about pacing, and the hill etc. Even Colin and Rob somewhat disagreed on their impact on pace and performance.

Of course by now I've read about as much as I can possibly read about pacing, strategy etc. Like I've said to a few people, I'm going to hit go on my watch at the Start line and just run. A bit of an over simplification, but you get the drift.

Perhaps I'm fatigued some overall physically, mentally, spiritually. Which is to be expected. But the butterflies are slowly starting to build in anticipation. We are counting the days... I've got my passport for the expo, app loaded on the phone ....


Week # 16 (3/26/18- 4/1/18)

Total Miles:  52.6


Monday:  Rest/ recovery

Tuesday:  12 miles. WO2. 2 + (4 x 2T, 2 min jog recovery) + 2. Roads of Carolina Beach. Was a bitch of a workout that I had to really grind through; but in the end was exactly what I needed. Running when thing weren't 100% and clicking, having to gut it out under less than ideal conditions. Held up, barely. But I did, almost racing the last 2 miles in about 12:26. Pretending again that Thomas, Paul, Ryan, Amie and Porter were running with me. Thanks guys!  Avg @ 6:15- 6:25 per mile.  Run time- 1:24:26  (7:01 pace)

Wednesday:  7.87 miles. CB + Carolina Beach State Park. 3 miles easier pace of hills in Yellow Blaze and Sugar Loaf trails. Legs beat up from Tuesday. Run time- 1:08:47 (8:44 pace)

Thursday:  9 miles. 6 x snows cut bridge and fairly moderate pace + 6 x 150 I/O striders. Ran in the early morning in the dark. Decent running felt ok, took bridges at a fairly hard effort. More hills ma. Run time - 1:07:48 (7:32 pace)

Friday:  Rest/ recovery

Saturday:  16.06 miles. About 10 trails CBSP, then 3 x 10 minutes in 6:00s on bridge loop w/ Colin, Rob, Beth Ann. Wound down the paces on all 3 clocked a 6:17 mile during last one chasing Rob and Colin back across the bridge. Good overall run and companionship. Took trail easy. Bit colder out too, temps 40s w/ some wind.  Run time- 2:20:44 (8:46 pace)

Sunday:  7.73 miles. CBSP. 2 miles of hills at easy pace. Legs ok, but noticed more discomfort again in left foot. Run time- 1:10:09 (9:04 pace).

No comments:

Post a Comment